The NI Executive has failed to reach a decision on whether to extend or change Covid-19 restrictions regarding the hospitality sector.
Ministers held a series of meetings throughout Monday but were unable to agree what steps to take.
One option being considered would be to allow cafes to open but licensed premises would remain closed.
It is understood hairdressers and beauticians would be allowed to open with certain restrictions in place.
Ten further coronavirus-related deaths were reported by Stormont’s Department of Health on Monday, along with 471 more cases.
Of the 10 deaths, nine occurred within the most recent 24-hour reporting period, while one happened prior to it.
In the Republic of Ireland, one further coronavirus-related death was reported on Monday and there have been 270 new confirmed cases.
The Republic’s death toll now stands at 1,948 since the pandemic began and a total of 65,659 cases of the disease have been diagnosed.
Pubs, restaurants and cafes across Northern Ireland closed their doors to sit-in customers on Friday 16 October under stricter Covid-19 restrictions.
Hair and beauty salons also had to shut for four weeks.
The first minister had said the current coronavirus restrictions would end at midnight on Thursday.
It had been expected that ministers were going to agree a partial reopening of the sector, allowing restaurants to open but unable to serve booze and keeping alcohol-only pubs shut for another fortnight.
On Sunday, Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill said the sale of alcohol was a factor in reaching a decision because “defences come down when alcohol is taken”.
Ms O’Neill said cafes and coffee shops were a different matter.
In other coronavirus developments on Monday:
Belfast restaurant owner Michael Deane said he was appalled at the idea not to allow premises to serve alcohol,
He appealed to the executive to “stop making us the bogeyman”.
He told the BBC’s Good Morning Ulster programme that his business had lost close to £2m.
“I think they should just tell us to close until this is all over, fund the hospitality business and leave it at that,” he added.
Hospitality Ulster chief executive Colin Neill urged the first and deputy first ministers to “make the right call to save thousands of jobs and hundreds of businesses” by allowing licensed premises to reopen on 13 November.
“We really need the executive to make sure that the focus is on getting the entire hospitality sector back up and running again this Friday to save a significant amount of jobs and businesses,” he said.
“We now face a really important part of the year and although we are live to the fact that this will be an extremely challenging trading period, we need to have the doors open.
“Hundreds of businesses are struggling and now in debt as they try to keep staff in the face of mounting bills and a lack of financial aid from the government, which covers very little in reality.”
Simon Hamilton, chief executive of Belfast Chamber, urged ministers to reconsider their decision to give businesses “a fighting chance” to remain open.
Speaking to Good Morning Ulster, he said: “Suggesting that alcohol will not be allowed to be sold in premises is one which no logic or evidence has been offered for, and would suggest there is a lack of understanding around the viability of businesses like restaurants.”
He said he has spoken to many businesses that do not believe it will be viable to open with the new restrictions.
He added that grant support launched by the executive several weeks ago has not been paid to businesses yet and many that were forced to close will not be able to avail of it.
Meanwhile Justice Minister Naomi Long is self isolating after developing a persistent cough.
The Alliance leader took to social media to say she had booked a test for Covid-19.
She said on Twitter: “Hopefully, with a clear test and 10 days isolation, we’ll be able to get it back on track next week. Still, very frustrating but has to be done.”
Ms Long said she was following the official advice she had received.
Department of Health guidance says if a person has a negative test, they are not required to self-isolate, as long as everyone they live with who has symptoms has tested negative; they feel well enough; and are not a close contact of a confirmed case.
Ms Long is the latest executive minister to self isolate and follows assembly members including Conor Murphy, Pam Cameron, John Stewart and Michelle O’Neill who have all had stay at home in recent weeks.